Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spring Skiing on the Snowmachines


Cody and I took advantage of one of the nicest days of the winter thus far and went sled skiing up on Angle Mountain on Togwotee Pass. As some of you well know, I originally got into snowmobiling to use it as an access tool for skiing. Well, of course I found out that snowmobiling is highly addictive in it's own right, and trying to go from a beginner to someone who only gets stuck a few times a day requires determination. Trying to ride around a 500 pound machine with slippery, stiff ski boots on isn't a lot of fun. So, that's why I don't mix my two favorite winter activities of skiing and snowmobiling like I used to or probably should. However, this weekend, we did just that and I was quickly reminded how fun it can be!


We sled skied all the way until after the sunset, enjoying the warmth of the sun and the solitude of untracked skiing.
You can just barely see the road that we built in this picture. Sled skiing takes time, patience, and a lot of effort. Often times there isn't any trail and or road to follow, so, you have to spend a couple hours going over and over the same line, side-hilling up a steep pitch essentially building a road. Once the road is built, then you ride double (not easy) up the road, drop the skier at the top, and then hook up at the bottom of the run and repeat! It's the poor mans helicopter!


Cody with nothing but the "road" that we built in the morning to keep himself company skiing down after I dropped him off at the summit of Angle Mountain.


Cody chilling scoping the commanding view on top of Angle Mountain where you could see all the way up into Yellowstone, over into Idaho, and up to Montana too.


Me having the best sled lunch I have ever created. I had slow cooked (10 hours) some pulled pork earlier in the week. So, I put the pulled pork between a yummy bun, wrapped it in some tin foil and......................


Put it on a really warm pipe on the inside of my snowmachine. It did the trick after a few minutes sitting on the hot pipe, I had a piping hot sandwich, pun intended! It melted the cheese to help create a masterpiece.

1 comment:

Ash said...

I don't know what I am more jealous of, the awesome fun in the snow or that rad looking sandwich!