Saturday, January 8, 2011

Fantasy Beat Down


Steve Nyman of the US Ski Team and his brother created a way of "playing" fantasy ski racing much like just about every other major sports in the U.S. has been doing for a long time this year for the World Cup. Both the Men's and Women's "White Circus" is represented. Essentially you pick the top 10 skiers for each event and weight is added toward the podium finishes (places 1-3). Luckily, my desk job has been invaluable for keeping up to date with all the many races and trying to make solid picks.
Ski racing is about the only sport that I religiously follow (although I do love the Seahawks.....awesome win today....! and also the Mariners), so, it has been fun putting my knowledge to the test against other passionate ski racing fans across the country and also the world. It has caught on with legions of fans and World Cup athletes are also playing fantasy ski racing.
Perhaps more than any other fantasy sport, ski racing has so many variables when trying to pick....weather, wax, conditions, past history on the course, start positions, injuries, et...

Anyhow, I had a banner day today and got a 2nd place (overall) with my pick of a women's downhill in Switzerland, picking the entire podium correctly and most of the top 10. This result shot me to the top 25 in the overall rankings of which there are close to 1000 people playing now. So stoked.

In case you haven't checked it out, www.fantasyskiracer.com

Double click on the image at the top, I am "Marcorocks".......!!!!!

No comments: