Monday, November 30, 2015

Delicious.

 A bucket list of rides come about every jaunt down to SB.  Once Gibralter Road got repaved last summer, it was on the top of my list.  It is going to be a summit finish on the Tour of California next year, the highest level professional World Tour event.  So, I wanted to see for myself what it was all about.  It did not disappoint, so much so I decided to do it twice!  And the second lap Chels and Dash drove to the top to meet me for a picnic!  

Nice view of the Los Padres National forest off in the distance.  

 Starting on the coast with palm trees and getting all the way up to an elevation of 4k feet with pine trees is cool.  Above the marine layer.  

 Yep, thats right.  A mini van!  Hah...., before the warranted joking commences, it s a rental!  Off season deals in Jackson on rental vans make driving long distances in a brand new car and not putting miles on older, less fuel effecient cars a must!  

 The mountains just behind SB are about as rugged as they come.  I did a backpack up along that crest many years ago and it is still remembered as one of the gnarier backpacks I have ever done.  

 Gibraltar road climb from above.  It goes on and on and on.  Epic.  

Freight train rumbling through Carpinteria.  

 My dad and Dash, raising the flag on another soon to be awesome day at the beach.  

 My mom and Dash, chillin in the morning, watching the high tide come in.  About a half hour later it looked like a lake.  We were lucky enough to catch the highest high tide and the lowest low tide of the year while we were down there.  

 My Uncle Pete is one with a board, always.  

 Hanging at the beach with this dude makes me happy.  

 Chels, Dash, evening solitude.  

 Uncle Pete, evening SUP session.  

 The chariot made many a voyages on the beach during the super low tides.  

And Dash got treated to a fine SB tradition, backyard bowl. 

No comments: