Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Damn tasty couliors...

 I sometimes forget many moons ago the whole reason I bought a sled was to access ski lines that you wouldn't be able to get to to otherwise.  Somewhere along the line I have seemed to lose sight of this and tend to shrug off sled skiing as a pain in the ass and not as fun as straight sledding.  Well, Presidents Day proved otherwise.  I am getting close to selling the ol Ski Doo here in a couple of weeks, so, no better reason to motivate up to location X on Togwotee to one of my favorite places to ski big, untouched, amazing, and fun couliors.  

It was cold and windy.

 The snow was.....umm, variable.  Ben and I skied two different run and had everything from awesome pow to downright scary, dont want to fall boiler plate.  

 I developed an affinity for skiing couliors back when I was living in Montana.  Growing up at Schweitzer I had never skied one until living in Bozeman and skiing at Bridger all the time.  Once I got a taste, I was addicted.  The beauty, solitude, and aesthetics of them are unbeatable.  I find myself liking the boot up them almost as much as the ski back down.  

Ben, making his way up the first one.

 Ben, above the crux, almost to the top.

 WOW!  My favorite of them all.  Its a big, gnarly, beautiful beast.

You can see the sled way, way, way down at the bottom as a spec in the distance.

 The sun came out just long enough to see what we were doing in this apron of goodness.

 I said it was variable, right?

 I love this place.  It is part of the reason I got a sled in the first place, just to access this!

 A view from the gunsight notch at the top.

Uhh huh...

No comments: