Sunday, March 14, 2010

A week in Casper, WY


I got the pleasure (ha ha!) of spending the last week in Wyoming's largest town, Casper (60,000) for work. I was there learning an interviewing technique called "Motivational Interviewing." It is a technique of interviewing that social workers, therapists and law enforcement are all now starting to use to help better elicit material from clients.


Having spent a week in Cheyenne for work in the fall, I never thought I would say this, but I would rather spend a week in Cheyenne than in Casper. Regardless, both have some nice attributes, however, suffice to say, it was awesome to get back home to the friendly, mountainous confines of Jackson on Friday night!

This is a shot of Casper Mountain. There is a ski area, snowmobiling, and x country skiing opportunities just 10 minutes out of town.

I was excited because they didn't have much snow and the weather was nice enough to run outside for the first time this year.


One of the nights I was there I met up with one of my favorite kids I have ever worked with, Craig Wilson who is from Casper but went to school in Jackson for a few years. Craig is a high functioning Autistic guy who never fails to have everyone in a room laughing. I worked directly with him for 3 years and was so stoked to hear from his mom that he is doing really well with his adult life there in Casper.


The last night I was in town I managed to catch the start of the Wyoming State Basketball Championships. It was at the Casper Events Center just up the road from the hotel I was based out of for the week. The Jackson Broncs boys and girls team both won their opening games on Thursday night!


Jackson lady Broncs en route to a win over Torrington.


Jackson Broncs hit the court before beating Wheatland.

No comments: