Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Raspberry Muffins

With all the yummy berries around the house I decided I would do a little baking to put them to good use. And Raspberry Muffins it was and they turned out so delicious that I ate most of them and Trevor only got 3 and got mad at me for not leaving him any more. So you should make them too because even though they are healthy boys like them too.

In the parenthesis are my substitutes I made to make them vegan and with less sugar. For egg replacements you can use half a banana=1 egg or 1/4 cup applesauce=1 egg. I used a banana and it gave them a nice hint of banana flavor as an added bonus.

Yummy Raspberry Banana Muffins
  • 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used spelt flour)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown rice syrup, maple syrup might be interesting too!)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
  • 3 tbs. vegetable oil
  • 1 tbs. lemon juice
  • 2 egg replacements (I used one mashed banana which gave it a great flavor too)
  • 1 cup raspberries (I think I may try with blueberries next time since we have a lot of those now!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the soy yogurt, oil, lemon juice and egg replacements (I used one banana here).
  4. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just blended.
  6. Gently stir in the raspberries.
  7. Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
  8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
  9. Cool muffins in the tin on a wire rack.
Enjoy!

No comments: